Looking Back Together

100 Years of Worship

At the start of the 1900s the small villages of Laindon and Langdon Hills faced the first influx of newcomers, mainly from the East End of London, to areas on either side of the railway line. The non-conformists among these settlers were able to accept the lack of mains sewerage and electricity but not the absence of any chapel, mission or Sunday School – the only places of worship being the two Anglican parish churches.
However, a Mr Foulger had just built the Nightingale Hall on the High Road and he agreed to rent it out for divine worship, so they seized the opportunity to open a non-sectarian mission with services starting on December 12th 1902. The work flourished and the following year a further mission church was started at the Manor Hall.