Coronavirus update 18th March 2020
In the light of the closure of church gatherings under government advice, to maintain communication, discipleship, support and fellowship within the church the following will be put in place:
- Sermons will continue to be recorded and uploaded to our website http://www.laindonbaptistchurch.co.uk/sundays/downloads/
- CD or document (printed) versions will be available to those without internet access.
- A pack will be sent out each week to our regular members/attenders by post or email with things like suggested Bible readings, thoughts, prayer requests and discussion starters for telephone conversations. If you know of anyone else who would benefit from one of these please contact me.
- I will be in the church office on Thursdays (assuming I am not isolated). If you are feeling significant distress from isolating please feel free to drop in at any time on that day – I will meet on a one-to-one basis and observe social distance. Please note, if you just want a chat and can do it over the phone, telephone contact would be preferable.
Further measures are being worked out and will be communicated shortly.
May we all know God’s peace, strength and presence with us at this time and continue in our walk with him and with each other.
Coronavirus information 17th March 2020
The latest government advice is for all non-essential social gatherings to be avoided. With this in mind, and to protect the vulnerable in our community, ALL activities will be suspended in the Laindon Baptist Church building until further notice.
We believe that church is more than just the building and will be putting plans into place over the next few days of how we can pursue the mission of the church to be rooted in God, growing in discipleship and sharing his love without physically meeting together.
So that we can support all our members and friends at this time, we would ask that you keep in touch with us, particularly if you are self-isolating and need anything (and that covers anything from shopping to phone calls to prayers!). You can contact us by:
phone/text – 07716 556528
facebook – search for Laindon Baptist Church.
We would also like to be able to contact you with our alternative arrangements for ‘being church’ at this time (once they are finalised) – if you would like to be part of this please let us know, along with the best method of communicating with you.
Every blessing, and we look forward to meeting with you again when we come out the other side of all this!
Coronavirus update 13th March 2020 Laindon Baptist Church
At the current time there is a growing spread of coronavirus in the UK. While we see no reason to panic unduly, we should take precautions to safeguard vulnerable people in the community. We would urge that the following procedures should be followed (this information may be updated in future weeks):
· NHS advice urges that the greatest protection against coronavirus is good hand hygiene; please wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds particularly when you arrive at home/work, after coughing or sneezing, and before preparing food.
· If coughing or sneezing, please cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or do so into the crook of your elbow (not into your hands); put used tissues in the bin and wash your hands as soon as possible. We will endeavour to have tissues and hand sanitiser available in all public areas (subject to availability of supplies).
· We recommend that we restrict physical contact until the outbreak has passed. In particular, those who greet on entry and exit from church will be asked not to shake hands or offer hugs. Be creative!
· In addition to our normal cleaning procedures, we will be cleaning all door handles and light switches regularly with disinfectant.
· We will be following our usual practice of pre-cut bread during communion but will not be providing biscuits with the tea and coffee after the service.
· Please follow government advice regarding self-isolation when returning from high risk areas, or experiencing any symptoms (new and persistent cough for 4 hours and temperature of 37.8oC or above are early/mild symptoms and self isolation is recommended for 7 days in the first instance). We encourage absence from church if you feel unwell. Sermons will be available online or in document form on request.
· We urge anyone who is self-isolating to let us know, so that we can find ways of offering appropriate pastoral care at this time. Telephone contact will be maintained.
· If you are aware of those in difficulties from isolation please ask if we can help.
As a church we endeavour to respond to this outbreak in a Christlike way. Bear in mind that taking sensible precautions is not principally an act of self-protection, but primarily an action designed to protect others who are at risk in our congregation and our community. And we continue to be open-hearted and attentive to the lonely, the vulnerable and the anxious, both within the church and beyond. Above all, we will face the future (which is always uncertain) with courage and faith in God.
Clean hands, open hearts!
Minister, Laindon Baptist Church
email@example.com; tel. 07716 556528